Saturday, September 18, 2010

Things I would have told you all about, had I been able to find the internet

Hello!
To those of you who may be thinking that this post is a good two weeks late, I would like to inform you that I tried with all my might to post earlier but Pasang-la, for all his knowledge of buddhist dialectics, can only do so much with the extremely fickle internet situation. Hopefully, by the end of this post, that last sentence will make sense.
 To business! The Miami Universty tibetan studies group arrived in Delhi somewhere around 18 days ago (I would be more precise, but I found it easier to just stop keeping track of time). Our hostel was in an area of town with a huge number of tibetan refugees who need to stop in Delhi for official documentaion before continuing on to Dharamsala. You may be able to notice some tell tale signs of tibetans in this picture, taken from the roof of the hostel:

During our one day in Delhi we wandered around the neighborhood for a while, got our first taste of Thukpa, some mo-mos, and eventually went on an extended and rather pointless shopping trip. It had initially been the plan to stay in Delhi for a week, but for whatever reason this did not happen. Instead, around six that night we caught a bus to Dharamasala- a 12 hour drive that would end  in some of the most terrifying mountain roads ever concieved. Fortunately, our bus was decorated with a sense of humor that put me right at ease:







Some time around 6 in the morning we arrived at Sarah College and met our roommates. My roommate is Tenzin Chophel, a twenty one year old monk from a small village in Kam. Tenzin knows just enough english to make all of my time spent in my room an adventure, starting at 6 in the morning when he begins his chants.
This is the view from the roof of my dorm. surely there is good skiing to be found here, although no mofongo. Since our arrival in Dharamsala we have spent most of our time reading, playing ping pong against monks, playing basketball against monks, or going up to Mcleod Ganj with monks. We also visited Kangra Fort and went to a teaching by His Holiness, but I will save those adventures for the next time I find some internet, as it is almost dinner time.

6 comments:

  1. excellent post! please explain who pasang-la is, what your classes are like, and give some examples of adventurous conversations with Tenzin-la. Where in Kham is he from?

    also, more pictures are required.

    ReplyDelete
  2. also please enable anonymous comments- it'll make it easier for family members (erhem) to comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. consider anonymous comments enabled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clay courts anywhere? -TMN

    ReplyDelete
  5. where are the new posts?!

    ReplyDelete